Monday, May 08, 2006

Maryland Sheep and Wool

God, am I satisfied.
I have the same feeling one has after eating a plentiful plate of good pasta, or a homemade chocolate chip cookie - only my craving for wool is satisfied, and not my stomach (although my stomach had its fill of good things too!). I went a little crazy (monetarily) yesterday at the infamous Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, but I think once I begin my new projects I won't feel as bad. All I wanted was a drop spindle so I could learn to spin, and I ended up getting quite a bit of rovong as well. I don't spin (yet), and don't know if I'll even enjoy it, yet I bought a grand total of 1 lb. 12 oz. of roving. Mrs. Brown had given me a little bit of roving that she had hand-dyed to try out - so it wasn't necessary to buy the amount of fiber that I did. I really should be saving. Whoops. I am completely satisfied, and that is all that matters. Heh.


I went with my aunt and grandmother, both of whom knit, as well as my mother who has absolutely no interest in knitting whatsoever. We had a fantastic time - the temperature was perfect, the parking spot was perfect, we didn't get lost on our way there (which was surprising), and we didn't get lost on our way back (which was even MORE surprising).

I even almost convinced my mother to buy an alpaca. She was gushing over this one male almost the entire day. He wouldn't have fit in our car, unfortunately.


Here are the contents of my goodie basket:

On the left: 4 oz. 50% baby Camel 50% Tussah silk from Indigo Moon Farm. Even though this roving is not for a beginner spinner, I could not help myself. And although not too apparent in the picture, the luster and sheen of this fiber is absolutely gorgeous. I am planning on making a plain scarf to match my heavy winter wool coat. It's going to look stunning.

In the middle: 1 lb. plain ol' wool from The Fold in Marengo, Illinois. It was so much smoother and creamier in color then many of the other fibers I had seen. I have no idea why, though. It's sooo super clean, but still smells of a dirty sheep. The woman told me it was from her award winning Blue-faced Leicester. I didn't care if the animal had won awards or not - the roving stuck out like a sore thumb against all of the other wool fibers I had seen. It's incredibly plush and luxuious - I wanted to jump in a huge pile of it. I couldn't resist.

On the right: 8 oz. of natural wool from I-forget-the-heck-where. The woman sold it to me for $5. Although not as soft as the Blue-faced Leicester, it's color is beautiful, and I cannot wait to get started on it. I think I'm going to spin this first.

In front: The hand-dyed roving was a gift from Mrs. Brown, and the drop spindle came from Greensleeves Spindles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home